Online learning requires students to possess specific technology and a certain level of technical expertise. The School of Professional and Online Education is dedicated to assisting online students with their technological needs as a means of facilitating a successful educational experience.
Generally speaking, online students must be proficient in the following computer-related tasks:
- Use email to correspond with faculty, staff, and students
- Access, create, and save documents in Microsoft® Office® formats
- Browse the Web including downloading and installing common plug-ins, and configuring common browser options
- Configure and run applications, including an antivirus application to ensure the student’s system is secure and transmitted files are virus free
- Use web-based video communication platforms like Zoom®, Adobe Connect®, and Google Hangouts®
- Limited high-speed internet and/or lack of technological proficiencies could affect one’s ability to be successful in online graduate courses
Minimum System Requirements
Online students must have access to computer technology that meets the following requirements:
- A PC running Microsoft Windows® Operating system (Windows® 8 or 10) or Mac OS X (10.6 or higher)
- Processor: Minimum – Dual-Core i5 Processor Recommended – Quad-Core i5 or Higher
- Memory (RAM): Minimum 8 GB or RAM
- Hard Disk Space: Minimum – 128 GB SSD/M.2 Recommended – 256 GB SSD/M.2 or Higher DO NOT buy a standard HD
- Sound card with speakers and microphone: Microphone headsets with built-in headphones are recommended
- HD webcam
- High-speed Internet Connection Required: Broadband cable with a bandwidth of 500 Kbps or higher is recommended to ensure timely video upload/download speeds. Please note that some courses, such as synchronous courses using Adobe Connect® (Download Adobe Connect) , may require bandwidth of 1.5 Mbps or higher. Many of the courses for the Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program are synchronous, interactive classes that will require bandwidth of 1.5 Mbps or higher. Note- Adobe Connect® does not necessarily work well with satellite internet (which tends to have high latency) Test your Internet connectivity and troubleshoot Adobe Connect issues.
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Edge (Download Microsoft Edge), Firefox (Download Firefox), Google Chrome (Download Google Chrome), Safari (Download Safari), Opera (Download Opera) . It is recommended to disable any pop-up blockers in third party tool bars that may be installed in your browser.
- Microsoft® Office Suite® (2007 or newer). Free version available here with Grace email address: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/students/default.aspx?SearchType=1
- A current antivirus and antispyware application that is updated regularly
- Updated versions of Adobe Reader® and Adobe Flash Player®
- Sun Java 2 SDK or a more recent version for PC
- Classic Java or a more recent version for Mac
Please note- Some courses may have additional software and/or hardware requirements. These additional requirements will be clearly stated in the respective course syllabi.