Grace College Online Education
Online learning requires students to possess specific technology and a certain level of technical expertise. The Department of Online education is dedicated to assisting online students with their technological needs as a means of facilitating a successful educational experience.
Generally speaking, online students must be proficient in the following computer-related tasks:
- Use email to correspond with faculty, staff, and students
- Access, create, and save documents in Microsoft® Office® formats*
- Browse the Web including downloading and installing common plug-ins and configuring common browser options
- Configure and run applications, including an antivirus application to ensure that the student’s system is secure and transmitted files are virus free
- Use web-based video communication platforms like Zoom®, Adobe Connect®, and Google Hangout®.
- Students who do not have computer or high-speed Internet access or lack technological proficiencies will have difficulty passing online graduate courses. For technological assistance, students may contact the Director of Online Education or the Learning House Help Center.
Minimum System Requirements
Online students must have access to computer technology that meets the following requirements:
- A PC running a Microsoft Windows® Operating System (XP, Vista, or Windows 7) or Mac OS X (10.4 or higher).
- Processor: 2.0 – 4.0 GHz
- Memory (RAM): Minimum 2 GB of RAM
- Hard Disk Space: Minimum 40 GB of free space
- CD-ROM/CD-RW drive
- Sound card with speakers and microphone: Microphone headsets with built in headphones are recommended
- HD webcam
- High speed Internet Connection Required: Broadband cable with a bandwidth of 500 Kbps or higher is recommended to ensure timely video upload/download speeds. Please note that some courses, such as synchronous courses using Adobe Connect, may require bandwidth of 1.5 Mbps or higher. Many of the courses for the Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program are synchronous, interactive classes that will require bandwidth of 1.5 Mbps or higher. Test your Internet connection speed.
- Internet Browser: Mozilla Firefox 5.0 or higher; Google Chrome; or Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher.
- Microsoft® Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2007 or newer
- A current antivirus and antispyware application that is updated regularly
- Adobe® Reader® 8.0 or a more recent version (free download)
- Adobe® Flash Player 9.0 or a more recent version (free download)
- Sun Java 2 SDK (Java 1.5) or a more recent version for PC (free download)
- Classic Java (MRJ 2.2.5) or a more recent version for Mac (free download)
Please Note – Some courses may have additional software and/or hardware requirements. These additional requirements will be clearly stated in the respective course syllabi.